Call Us: 0333 004 3888
Mon - Fri 9.00am - 6.00pm

Jargon buster

Please note: the explanation of terms below is intended for guidance only; for contractual definitions, refer to the policy wordings.

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |

Annual payment - a one-off payment in advance to cover a year’s insurance. This is the cheapest way of obtaining cover.

Annual policy - all Musicguard policies, even when paid by direct debit, are annual policies and cover you for a full 12 months unless cancelled by either party under our standard cancellation terms.

Associates - this is our term to describe other people you wish to include on your public liability/personal accident cover. These can be band members, assistants or colleagues but they must be resident in the UK.

Breakdown - this provides cover for any electronic item (up to seven years old from date of manufacture) and all musical instruments against failure due to a mechanical, constructional, electronic or electrical defect. If you select breakdown cover there is a £50 compulsory excess for each and every item. If you choose a voluntary excess, this will not be in addition to any compulsory excess.

Commencement date - the date that the policy starts.

Depreciation - due to the limited life expectancy of portable laptops we apply a deduction to any claim for wear, tear and depreciation on any laptop over 18 months old. The maximum age we can insure a laptop is up to 60 months or 5 years.

Evidence of ownership - to pay out for an insurance claim, we need to be certain that you were/are the owner of the insured items. Evidence can be shown by, for example, an original receipt clearly showing the item and date of purchase. Alternative evidence can include a bank or credit card statement, photographs, a copy receipt from the retailer, packaging or literature.

Excess - this is the amount of money that you contribute towards the cost of a claim. With Musicguard there is no excess as standard on instrument or equipment insurance, but you can choose to pay a voluntary excess – and doing so will reduce your premium, typically by around 12.5%.

There is a £500 excess for claims made for damage to a third persons property.
There is a £50 excess (for each and every item) for breakdown claims.

See also minimum claim.

Flexicover - a policy unique to Musicguard. If you only take up to 50% of your equipment value away from your home or studio, your premium is reduced. All your gear is insured but you only pay extra for what you use when performing. Hire cover and £1 million public liability/personal accident cover is included as standard.

Forcible and violent entry - entry to a property that clearly shows damage to the lock, building, room or vehicle, caused as a direct result of theft.

Hire of equipment - Musicguard’s version of a courtesy car! Musicguard cover ensures that you are able to keep playing if your equipment is stolen or damaged. We will pay for the hire of alternative equipment whilst yours is awaiting repair or replacement (subject to an approved claim).

Home and studio - one of the Musicguard policies, this covers your equipment at a single location only. Hire cover and £1 million public liability/personal accident cover is included as standard.

In vehicle - this covers your equipment whilst transported in a vehicle. When at the insured location the insured property must be removed from the vehicle. This does not cover your equipment whilst in transit unless it is kept in a rigid-bodied case. See also security requirements.

Insured location - this is a single, specified place where you store your equipment, typically your home or studio.

Laptop - means portable laptop computers, notebooks, and their accessories, including adaptors, cards, cases, data storage devices, networking accessories, docking stations, security devices and webcams.

Locked luggage compartment - this can be:

  • A locked car boot
  • A locked rear storage area of a hatch-back, four wheel drive, MPV, SUV or estate car, subject to a factory fitted cover being in place (where the cover isn't available, items must be kept out of sight)
  • A locked rigid bodied van, mini bus or camper van providing the windows have been obscured and providing any items are in a compartment of the vehicle that is not accessible from the drivers area or, where the compartment is accessible, kept out of sight.
  • A rigid body fully enclosed trailer attached to a vehicle by a shackle bolt.

Minimum claim - we don’t handle claims for less than £100 – any claim over this amount is for the full amount and no excess is deducted (unless you have chosen to take a voluntary excess).

Musical equipment - insured items must be music related. This might include amps, drums, mixing equipment, disco lighting etc - you cannot insure unrelated items like trailers, security devices, mobile phones, towbars etc.

Musician - our collective term to describe general players, bands, groups, DJs, VJs, entertainers, solo artistes, sound engineers, technicians and producers.

Period of insurance - the length of time for which you are covered, all Musicguard policies run for a period of 12 months even when being paid by monthly direct debit.

Personal accident - if you have an accident whilst playing or using your equipment, this provides cover up to £10,000 for death & permanent total disablement and £5,000 for loss of limb or eye.

Personal liability - this is the same as public liability.

Policy summary - this is a brief outline of the terms and conditions including any significant exclusions or conditions of an insurance policy. The summary is not a substitute for reading the full policy wording.

Policy wording - this sets out in full the terms and conditions of your insurance cover. It is essential that you read the wording and comply with any terms and conditions it sets out. We have made it as straightforward as possible to read and understand.

Much of the information provided on this site is for guidance – only the relevant policy wording can be taken as a binding contract.

Premium - the amount you pay (either a single amount in advance or by credit agreement with Thistle Insurance Services Limited) to provide annual insurance cover for your instruments and/or equipment.

Property - when we refer to property we don’t only mean buildings but also personal items, such as a laptop, a table or car… basically anything!

Public liability - this provides cover against damage to persons or property caused by your proven negligence. Musicguard includes £1 million cover as standard but you can upgrade to £2 or £5 million.

Replacement value - this is the price an item would normally cost new in a store including VAT rather than a specially discounted or sale price or ebay bargain!

Select - this Musicguard policy covers all your equipment at any location (subject to the area cover you choose). Hire cover and £1 million public liability/personal accident cover is included as standard.

Serial number - the unique code that identifies your instrument or item of equipment. It is essential that we have the serial number for any item valued over £750. You do not need to have the number in order to apply for cover, but the serial number (and proof that it relates to the item insured) will be required in the event of a claim.

Sum insured - this is the total value of your equipment and instruments.

Terms of business - the basis on which you do business with us. Click for more information.

Third-party liability - this is the same as public liability.

Voluntary excess - an excess is the amount you contribute towards the cost of a claim. Paying a voluntary excess will reduce your premium BUT in the event of a claim, this is the amount that will be deducted from your claim.

Enter the total value of equipment you want to insure
> Thistle Insurance Services Limited
> Terms of use
> Privacy policy
> Contact us
> Earn money with us
Investors In Customers McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams      
Click for free callback